If your roof is faded and weather worn, leaking water, or getting up in years, you may be wondering when is the best time for a shingle roof replacement. After all, your roof protects your home, possessions, and loved ones. If the question has crossed your mind, read on to learn more!
Shingle Roof Replacement
Some indicators of when to replace your shingle roof are visibly clear, some not so clear, and others require a comprehensive roofing inspection to detect.
- Storm damage: Wind-driven storms can damage a roof to the point it must be replaced. Any time your roof sustains severe weather, including hail storms, contact your roofing contractor for a thorough roof inspection.
- Leaks: Water stains and leaks in your home are clear signs your roof needs attention. Depending on the age of your roof, maintenance and repair history, and the extent of the leakage, a shingle roof replacement may be your best long-term solution.
- Deterioration: Beneath the roofing shingles you’ll find waterproofing underlayment, decking, joists, and more. Deterioration and rot of any of these materials due to insects or water, for example, could signal that it’s time for a roof replacement.
- Gutters: Your gutter system is responsible for conveying water away from your roofing system. Clogged gutters allow water to build up and seep into roofing materials, which can cause decay and rot.
- Age: If your roof is more than 15 years old and it’s showing signs of deterioration, ask your roofing contractor about the long-term benefits of replacing your roof sooner rather than later.
Buying or Selling a Home
Buying or selling a home? It may be time for a shingle roof replacement! A new roof attracts buyers to your home when you are selling. On the other hand, if you’ve found your dream home, but it needs a new roof, use it as a negotiating tactic to include the cost of a new roof in the home price.
Your Roofing Contractor
One of the most important decisions regarding a shingle roof replacement is choosing the right contractor to work with. Your contractor should provide you professional credentials, references, and photos of recent work similar in scope to your needs.
If you have questions about shingle roof replacement, contact Mark Kaufman Roofing today. We’ve provided exceptional roofing services for Sarasota area homeowners since 1988.