Just like it is with people, your home’s first impression is important. Aside from the joy of living in a beautiful home, your property’s attractiveness, referred to as curb appeal in the real estate industry, will be especially critical when you wish to sell your property. High curb appeal translates to increased marketability and value, making you more likely to sell your home quickly and profitably.
Your home’s roof is an often-overlooked element of its aesthetic appeal. Your choice of roof material, style, and dedication to maintenance and upgrades throughout its lifetime will go a long way in determining how good it looks to outside observers.
Here’s a quick look at the options to help you determine how to achieve the highest curb appeal with your choice of roofing materials.
Popular Roofing Materials and Their Aesthetic Appeal
There are plenty of roofing materials out there for you to choose from, but you will need to make your choice carefully because they can be significantly different from one another.
Aside from the durability, cost, longevity, and performance differences, they will also uniquely impact the appearance and appeal of your property. The most commonly used roofing materials include:
- Clay Tiles: For a classic, timeless look, you cannot go wrong with clay roofing. Typically used in Spanish or Mediterranean-style homes, these tiles are durable, warm, and pleasing to the eyes.
- Asphalt Shingles: The affordability and ease of installation of asphalt shingles have made them the most popular roofing material in the United States, but their advantages go beyond that. They are highly versatile, coming in various shapes, colors, and designs, making them easy to match with any property exterior you can come up with.
- Metal Roofing: Aside from being durable, energy-efficient, and versatile, metal can add a touch of modern elegance to any home if installed by the right roofing experts.
- Slate Roofing: While relatively more expensive than the other choices in this short list, the elegance and beauty of slate roofing are undeniable and are sure to pay you back in the long run if you stay on top of your roof repair, maintenance, and cleaning schedules.
Different Roofing Styles You Should Consider
Aside from the roofing material, consider the roofing style you want to ensure your house is presented in the best light. Your choice of roof style can add an extra layer of elegance and sophistication to your property, dramatically boosting its curb appeal. Some popular roofing styles include:
- Hip Roofs: These roofs feature sloping sides which come to meet at a single point and are prevalent in complex homes which require additional weather resistance and stability.
- Gable Roofs: These feature triangular shapes that work well with most architectural styles in addition to being easily installed.
- Flat Roofs: Many minimalist and modern home designs employ flat roof designs, which have proven to be a popular option for contemporary homeowners in urban settings.
- Mansard Roofs: This type of roof features dual slopes on all of its four sides and is a common feature in French-inspired architectural designs.
How to Keep Your Roof Looking Its Best
There’s little point in using the best materials and designs on your roof if you do not take proper care of it afterward. The following measures will maximize and maintain your roof’s appeal for many years of service.
- Regular Cleaning: Debris such as dirt, leaves, grime, branches, moss, and so on should be removed as soon as they begin to accumulate so that you avoid potential damage and unattractive appearances.
- Regular Inspections: Bring in professional roofing contractors to conduct a thorough inspection regularly to ensure any potential problems are identified and rectified before they develop into major catastrophes.
- Protective Coatings: To enhance and preserve their durability, energy efficiency, and aesthetic appeal, some metal and flat roofs will benefit from added coats of protection against weather elements.
- Gutter and Downspout Maintenance: Your gutters and downspouts are essential components of your roof system. When these become clogged with debris such as leaves, dirt, and other obstructions, they cannot drain rainwater and melted snow off your roof, leaving it vulnerable to leaks, water damage, moss, and other forms of damage. Your home’s siding, fascia, vents, and insulation may also be negatively affected.
Investing in the right roofing material and styles can create a long-lasting impression, maximize your ROI (Return-On-Investment), and attract the best potential buyers should you wish to sell the property.
If you require the services of an expert roofing contractor in North Port, Florida, make Mark Kaufman Roofing your first call. We have the knowledge, experience, dedication, and passion to deliver the best results you could wish for in a timely, cost-effective manner. Call us today – you won’t regret it!