You can apply the old adage “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” to all aspects of home maintenance, but it’s especially fitting for the roof that protects your home’s structure and contents from the elements. Since the roof is out of sight, though, it’s easy to neglect it in favor of other household repairs or improvements. Neglecting roof maintenance can have a wide range of costly consequences, so it’s wise to put your roof at the top of the list when you’re prioritizing maintenance, repairs and update projects.
Reasons Why Timely Roofing Repairs and Maintenance Matter
Here are just a few of the reasons why you need to prioritize roof care:
- Roof replacement. A roof that’s well maintained and kept in good repair is more likely to reach its full useful service life. Conversely, if you neglect the roof, you can end up facing the expense of a replacement sooner than expected.
- Repair costs. Having your roof inspected regularly and getting minor issues fixed as they develop can allow you to avoid the extra cost of more extensive roofing repairs, as well as the expense and inconvenience of correcting structural or interior damage caused by water infiltration.
- Air quality. In our climate, it’s a constant struggle to keep humidity in check and maintain healthy indoor air quality. If you allow your roof to deteriorate and it starts to leak, mold that thrives in moist, warm conditions can gain a foothold in hidden areas like the ceilings and exterior walls. Once mold gets established, your air quality can decline and you may need specialized remediation services to get the problem under control.
- Energy consumption. It costs a lot to keep a home comfortable, especially during our long cooling seasons. If there are unaddressed issues with your roof that allow heat and moisture into the structure of your home, they can put added stress on the HVAC equipment and increase your energy consumption and cooling costs.
- Warranty compliance. If your roofing material is still covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, and you need to file a claim, you might find that your coverage is void if you haven’t kept up with routine roof maintenance. That’s because most manufacturers include a clause in their warranties that makes regular maintenance a requirement.
Contact us at Mark Kaufman Roofing for expert help addressing roof maintenance and repairs for your North Port home.