After a violent storm has passed through your town, many homeowners, as well as business owners, have a fair amount of roof storm damage. Along with storms comes storm damage, and when there is storm damage, there are bound to be storm chasers.
What are Storm Chasers?
Storm chasers, also known as “roofing gypsies”, flock to an area that was recently hit by a devastating storm and promise immediate cheap work. However, after you sign on with them, they leave with your money having done no work in return.
How to Distinguish Between A Storm Chaser and A Legitimate Roofing Contractor
- Research the roofing company you plan to hire to confirm that they are an actual trusted roofing contractor. Ask neighbors or even the local lumber yards if they have heard of the contractor and if they have been responsible with their payments and pick-ups.
- Take a look at their license plate to see if they are from out of state. If they are, they might just be a roofing storm chaser. Workmanship warranties only go into effect if the contractor is able to perform follow-up maintenance on the roof.
- Ask them to prove they are certified, licensed and insured. If they are legitimate, they should be able to show you their documentation almost instantly. If they are not licensed or certified, it is best not to work with them. In addition to not being licensed or certified, if they are not insured for liability it means that if the workers get hurt, they could sue you.
It Is Probably a Storm Chaser If:
- They went from door to door in your neighborhood.
- You were immediately asked to sign into their program.
- Marketing techniques were used that made you uncomfortable, and used high pressure tactics
- You have never heard of them, and some of your friends from the area have not heard of them either.
After storm damage has occurred, many homeowners are in desperate need and distress. Always demand quality work no matter what kind of situation you are in. Roof work is an expensive and important investment, so take your time and choose your roofing contractor wisely.
Connect with the Mark Kaufman roofing team in the aftermath of a highly damaging storm. With over 30 years of experience, we have dealt with our fair share of storm damage and know exactly how each repair should be faced.